Tuesday, February 10, 2009

so much for being resourceful...

So I was using pirated software and it was doing a brilliant job… pdf to .xls converter

My manager came to me asking for something similar

I give it to him

Manager is happy, I am happy (good deed of the day kinds)

He sends mail to client ...."Eureka, we have the software. Send us the rest of the data"

CC's it to senior manager

Senior manager gets a heart attack

Calls manager and asks him…."wtf"

So manager point towards my cube

SM calls me and politely asks me what I am up to....

So I ...PROUDLY .tell him my discovery and how I helped my Manager

SM panics

Asks me if I passed the training on ethics when I joined.

I still don’t get it

I say yes.... y do u ask.

SM is now sweating

Gives me a smile

And say... Nitin....please note..."I am not screwing u, yet "… only asking..."what the F*%K is wrong with u ..

Ur leaving the company… I know but why do u want to "lath maro mine and ur managers stomach" while u leave??? Please for heavens sake, tell me what you need for the project…We really have the money to buy it for you…promise!!! Don’t use any of this pirated/free/share etc "wares "on firm laptop.

Now the bolt of lightening hits me....aaahhhaaa….So my firm has a problem when if I find an easy non-complicated way to getting a fob done.

All three people then comment..."excuse us while we save our jobs and promptly begin uninstalling the software and make an emergency call to the client to "explain" what just happened"

Well, they asked for it.

Even M was proud of me

Till that SM came in the way!!!!

So much for being resourceful!!!!!

In this firm……no "kadar"...in L&T, this very jugaad attitude made me a hero. If you wanna trouble shoot…dial “NITIN”…he will find a way…by hook or by crook.

Dumb rules and policies

Saala SM even went on to say... “when policies are etched in stone, y do u want to challenge them”

I started to giggle

Not the best thing to do

But couldn’t help it

My head was bringing back images from 10 commandments

U know Moses with 2 stone tablets

In this case, SM=Moses.

My manager is probably now scared to approach me for any help. In a way good :)

I think I may just go back to an Industry after all... Life is honestly so much simpler!!!

1 comments:

Sodium said...

Hey Nitin,

I had similar experience but I didn't actually use the pirated software. I only suggested we use it.

Of course, Piracy is illegal. You can't use it in business. For example, my client was a big pharma company, and the FDA screws them real real hard if any of the subject's confidential data is leaked on any 3rd party (shared) server because of any shared/pirated software. Similar threats apply to other industries also from their respective regulators.

My 2 cents. Standard disclaimers apply :)